|Type||Animated (2D) Short|
The Modifyers is an animated short created by Chris Reccardi and Lynne Naylor. It was initially a pilot pitched to television giant Nickelodeon, but it was not picked up for a full series. The short features Agent Xero and her sidekick Mole attempting to thwart the efforts of Baron Vain and his legion of henchmen, such as Rat.
The pilot was first shown on Nicktoons Network's Shorts in a Bunch series back in 2007.
The scene opens as Rat, one of Baron Vain's henchmen, is attempting to steal the All Seeing Eye from the Museum of Odd Stuff. After succeeding, but setting off the alarms in the process, Rat escapes to the sewers, only to be confronted by Lacey Shadows, another one of Baron Vain's henchmen. After a brief altercation, Lacey gets away with the All Seeing Eye and escapes to her airship in a rocket pod. However, Rat uses a grappling hook to stow away on the bottom of the pod.After entering a brief pattern of stupidity which activates the lights, Lacey Shadows is revealed to be Agent Xero, a superheroine who uses her powers to foil Baron Vain's plans. After speaking with Katz, Mole, Xero's sidekick, is ready to return the All Seeing Eye. However, Agent Xero insists that they ask it a question. Due to this insistence and a series of mishaps, Rat is able to get away with the Eye and bring it to Baron Vain's lair.
- Agent Xero (voiced by Mae Whitman) - a master of disguise, she can switch from many forms and uses Mole as a plethora of accessories or props. Agent Xero takes the job seriously, but has a notion of bending the rules slightly. For example, once they secured the All-Seeing Eye, she wanted to hold onto it to answer a question of her own. She, along with her sidekick, Mole work together with Katz to stop Baron Vain's evil plans.
- Lacey Shadows (voiced by Mae Whitman) - The Baron Vain's favorite henchman, and one of the personalities Xero disguises as. Her first of only two appearances is in the drain, along with Rat, taking away "The All-Seeing Eye."
- Mole (voiced by Jeff Bennett) - Agent Xero's sentient robotic sidekick. He and Xero work together with Katz to try and stop Baron Vain's evil plans. He is able to shapeshift into a variety of handheld objects, such as an umbrella and a backpack.
- Katz (voiced by Paul Rugg) - presumably Agent Xero and Mole's boss, as they report to him whenever they have solved another crime.
- Baron Vain (voiced by Paul Rugg) - the main antagonistic force With a legion of henchmen such as Lacey Shadows and Rat, he tries to execute various evil schemes.
- Rat (voiced by Jeff Bennett) - one of Baron Vain's henchmen. He is an insane, maniacal rat.
- The title is a pun on "The Modifiers", referring to Agent Xero's disguises.
- It is obvious that the cartoon's genre is magical girl due to the way Agent Xero/Lacey Shadows transforms and her activation item is a diamond ring.
- They‘re many theories of why the show was rejected. Some say it was rejected for The Mighty B! or Back at the Barnyard or rumors suggest that this was due to similarities in design/style to My Life as a Teenage Robot. The real reason why this wasn’t picked up because Nicktoons featuring female protagonists were doomed to be complete and utter failures. But luckily, The Mighty B! saved the female protagonist trend, which lead to other future Nicktoons with female protagonists such as Making Fiends, The Legend of Korra, and It’s Pony.
- It is unlikely that a full show will materialize, even though there was launched an online petition to give them their own show. This petition currently has over 5000 supporters. Lynne Naylor did state that she and Chris Reccardi were planning on reworking the Modifyers for any other platform. Unfortunately, Chris Reccardi passed away on May 2, 2019 due to a heart attack, leaving plans to rework the project in the hands of Lynne Naylor.